- Develop cutting-edge technologies for net zero emissions
- Conduct research & development in fugitive methane emissions abatement & mine waste treatment
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation
The role of Research Engineer Staff in CSIRO is to conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. You may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
As the Thermal/Chemical Engineer, you will conduct research and development in the areas of fugitive methane emissions abatement and mine waste treatment. The research aims to reduce greenhouse gas emission and minimize environmental impact. The work will involve use of a combination of disciplines, including combustion, heat transfer, reaction, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.
Your duties will include:
- Develop fugitive methane mitigation and capture technologies.
- Develop new processes and technologies for mine waste treatment.
- Liaise with clients to determine their needs and take personal responsibility for client satisfaction.
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU$98k – AU$106k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 4 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD in Thermal Engineering/Chemical Engineering or qualification and research experience which, taken together, are equivalent to this educational standard.
- Demonstrated expertise in combustion, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and thermal dynamics.
- Demonstrated engineering skills in designing and setting pilot-scale and full-scale units including combustor, heat exchanger, furnace. Excellent experience in operating such scale units.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse problems and develop appropriate and practical solutions.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively, and to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and to liaise at all levels from management through to technical staff.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in using 3D autoCAD/Solidworks for mechanical design.
For more information please view the Position Description.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
- The successful candidate will be required to undertake a pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement and be medically fit for working on mine sites.
- The successful candidate must be willing and able to travel to mine sites for project activities, and to drive a car domestically.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Wednesday 5th August 2020, 11:59PM AEST