Stream Lead - Generator Connections Modelling Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) (View other jobs from this organisation)
Stream Lead - Generator Connections Modelling Engineer
About the Role:
AEMO’s Victorian Connections team is seeking an experienced Stream Lead - Generator Connections Modelling Engineer with demonstrated or emerging leadership skills to lead the analysis and assessment of renewable energy generation, battery and storage systems, and other new technologies.
As a Stream Lead - Generator Connections Modelling Engineer you will:
- Be at the forefront of an unprecedented transformation to the energy industry, providing expert technical leadership across AEMO and the energy industry. This team is currently progressing the integration of 10GW of renewable energy, battery and gas generation into the Australian power system, whilst providing expert advice to another 18GW of emerging generation.
- Lead a team of technical specialists and engineers in assessing the connection of renewable energy generation, battery and storage systems, and other new technologies to the Australian power system. This will involve close collaboration with industry to problem solve solutions to emerging challenges, requiring strong communication, coordination and stakeholder management skills.
- You will also build the capability and culture of a fast-growing team of technical experts with a focus on robust analysis, evidence-based risk assessment and decision making, and the application of engineering and commercial judgement to enable pragmatic problem solving.
- Ensure your team works with project developers across the entire project lifecycle - from project inception, through the application, construction, market registration and commissioning phases, to enable release to full operation.
- Identify emerging technical issues and collaboratively develop solutions that can be applied across the NEM (National Electricity Market), coordinating problem solving across AEMO and the energy industry.
- Build technical knowledge and capability within AEMO and across industry, mentoring and coaching AEMO staff and stakeholders.
If you’re excited by the opportunity to shape a new framework and operating culture for a transforming industry through collaborative problem solving, innovation and education, then this is the role for you.
Reporting to the Manager - Victorian Connections, this role can be based at any of our CBD offices in Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth or Sydney.
If successful and depending on the COVID-19 situation at the time of your commencement, you may commence working from home. AEMO provides an essential service and actively promotes flexible working arrangements and personalised career development. We have cohesive team structures, an empowering and progressive culture, and communication tools in place to ensure all employees remain actively connected to each other and the broader AEMO organisation.
- Develop a coordinated vision and framework for the integration of a variety of generation and storage technologies into the NEM, incorporating technical, regulatory and cultural change.
- Lead a step-change improvement in AEMO’s technical collaboration with clients and the energy industry, and analysis/reporting methods and tools, to ensure proactive identification of common industry challenges, constructive and outcome-focused problem solving, as well as robust, transparent decision making.
- Coordinate the allocation of resources across multiple, evolving generator connection projects with externally driven timelines and undefined technical challenges
- Build a service-oriented culture, based on client partnerships and close collaboration within AEMO and across industry
- Provide mentoring, coaching and expert guidance to Victorian Connections technical staff and across industry
- Propose and lead regulatory changes to recognise and facilitate the integration of large-scale renewable energy projects into the Australian electricity market
- Prepare clear, concise and high quality written and verbal communication to inform internal or external stakeholders on a range of issues for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proactively build AEMO’s reputation as a trusted partner to generation developers, original equipment manufacturers, Government, Network Service Providers, Market Participants, Customers and other stakeholders.
Required skills and experience:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Electrical Engineering or other discipline relevant to power systems analysis
- At least 10 years’ experience in power systems analysis and engineering, within the energy sector.
- Well-developed experience in managing generator connection processes, with extensive experience in assessing and resolving generator and power system performance issues
- Demonstrated experience in building and managing technical teams - shaping a proactive and ownership-based team culture, fostering a service oriented, outcome-focused and pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Experience negotiating resolution of complex technical issues across stakeholders with competing objectives and a variety of commercial and reputational drivers
- Understanding of key commercial and legal issues impacting large scale infrastructure projects, and the commercial drivers of generation developers
- In depth understanding of the national energy landscape, policy and regulation, with a particular focus on generator technical requirements
- Ability to communicate technical/engineering concepts to the non-technical audience in a clear and easy to understand language.
- Experience liaising with government agencies, writing /reviewing policies, planning/construction of power system assets, and familiarity with the National Electricity Rules (NER) is highly desirable.
About the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO):
AEMO delivers secure, reliable energy to millions of Australians every day. Our work touches virtually all aspects of Australia’s industrial, business and domestic life. We ensure energy produced by electricity generators and gas suppliers reaches consumers nationwide.
We operate the national electricity grid and manage gas markets in all states except Northern Territory. We also operate Victoria’s gas system.
AEMO provides expert guidance to government and the energy sector to inform policy, investment decisions and infrastructure management. We play a crucial role in shaping Australia’s energy future.
Your career with AEMO
AEMO has some of Australia’s finest energy sector talent in its midst. Our work is intellectually challenging, and our people gain enormous satisfaction from solving the complex problems constantly facing them.
The continuing interplay of shifts in energy generation, reliability, affordability, and a low emissions future will ensure we at AEMO continue to be challenged and driven for many years to come. So, make your next career move one that really matters!
Some of our employment benefits:
Here are some of the attractive employment benefits we offer:
- Professional development via projects, assignments, industry networks and job rotation
- Flexible working: work from home, part time and job share
- Discount health insurance, gym membership and other concessions
- Free salary continuance insurance and annual performance bonuses *
* Subject to eligibility
Apply now to join us and take your place alongside like-minded passionate, driven individuals in the Energy sector: one of the world’s most exciting and dynamic industries.
Click ‘apply’ to submit your CV and cover letter as soon as possible or latest by midnight Sunday, 15 August 2021.
No agency applications will be accepted at this time.
OUR VALUES: Inclusive, Integrity, Empowered, Excellence
- Closing Date:
- 15 Aug 2021
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Power Generation and Distribution