We are NSW’s bulk water supplier, river operator and your one-stop shop for licensing, water trades and water information. We supply two thirds of water used in NSW from our 42 dams, rivers and pipelines to regional towns, irrigators, Sydney Water and local water utilities. We also own and operate the largest surface and groundwater monitoring network in the southern hemisphere and build, maintain and operate essential infrastructure.
We are currently seeking an experienced Water Monitoring Officer to join our Water & Catchment Protection Team. You will be responsible the operation and maintenance of water monitoring sites and equipment to enable the collection, management and dissemination of accurate water monitoring data, ensuring accuracy and quality.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Ensure all activities are undertaken with safety as the number one priority;
- Collect, process and manage Hydrometric surface water, groundwater and water quality monitoring data from a large remote monitoring network;
- Collect water quality samples as requested by internal or external stakeholders within assigned sites and in accordance with quality guidelines and relevant procedures;
- Install, manage and maintain monitoring equipment and infrastructure to prescribed standards;
- Report on the performance of individual water monitoring sites from telemetered/non-telemetered datasets and seek instrumentation advice to identify/resolve issues;
- A willingness to travel overnight to remote/isolated locations throughout NSW;
- Contribute to continual improvement of the implementation and maintenance of quality assurance systems, audit programs and development of work instructions and procedures.
Skills and Qualifications required:
- Undergraduate degree or Diploma of Water Industry Operations (hydrography), Science, Engineering, Asset Management or equivalent experience in an appropriate field
- A current Driver’s Licence
- Strong swimming experience
- Computer literacy and ability to interpret data, work with specialist databases and monitor network performance
- A willingness and ability to carry out field work in all weather conditions that can be extreme at times and for prolonged periods of time. Field work can be both physically and mentally demanding while still requiring all workers remain safe.
- Knowledge of the principles of regulatory frameworks
- Awareness of and interest in natural resource management, particularly water
- Desirable: Current First Aid Certificate, Boat Licence, row a boat/kayak, work at heights, heavy lifting and competency in driving four-wheel drive vehicles
- Desirable: Experience using Hydstra database
What we are offering
- Work location – Dubbo / Narrabri
- Permanent, Full time role
- Flexible work arrangements, 9-day fortnight
- Diverse and supportive team environment
- Ongoing training provided
The successful applicant will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including a National police check and Medical check. Any offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance of these checks.
More information can be accessed via the Position Description. Queries can be directed to: Recruitment@waternsw.com.au
All applications must be lodged via an online application - emailed applications will not be accepted.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close 8th December 2021