Trainee Technical Officer - Electronics
Trainee Technical Officer - Electronics
- Are you looking for a unique career supporting scientific research?
- Are you highly motivated and looking to gain hands on experience as well as a qualification?
- Join our team at CSIRO - Australia's premier scientific research organisation
The Engineering and Technology Research Program is seeking a highly motivated individual to undertake a workplace-based traineeship. Over the four year period, the trainee will undertake part-time formal study from an approved training provider to obtain an Associate Degree in Applied Technology (electronics); and will develop practical skills through on-the-job training under the guidance of qualified technicians and engineers in the Instruments and Electronics Group at the CSIRO Laboratories located in Hobart, Tasmania.
The areas of in-house training are extensive and include component level circuit board assembly, instrument maintenance, wiring and machining techniques. As the traineeship progresses, it will increasingly include electronic circuit design and manufacture, microcontroller programming, and fault finding of electronic and scientific equipment. The position may require the trainee to participate in field work including working at sea for periods that could exceed several weeks.
Upon successful completion of traineeship program the trainee may be considered for further employment with CSIRO subject to the availability of suitable positions.
Your duties will include:
- Assist in the design and manufacture of electronic circuitry and systems under the supervisor of senior technical officers and engineers.
- Gain familiarity with hand-tools and machinery and be capable of performing tasks such as basic machining and fabrication;
- Learn to use software packages for electronic circuit and PCB, and mechanical design;
- Learn to use programming languages, particularly C and Python;
- Contribute to supporting laboratory operations, including monitoring and replacing consumables;
- Participate in the components of the training package and complete all requirements of the prescribed Nationally Accredited Qualification.
Location: Hobart, TAS
Salary: AU$41 - AU$47k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 4 years
To be considered you will need:
- Have completed year 12 with strong results in Mathematics and Science related subjects and preferably Electronics.
- Demonstrate an interest in electronics and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Be willing to participate in field work which may involve working on ships at sea.
- Ability to participate and contribute in a team environment and complete assigned tasks under general direction. Have a willingness to contribute to a safe working environment.
- Evidence of sound research and study skills, including written and oral communication skills.
- Independently motivated, a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
- The ability & willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be appointed to this role you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 November 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Nov 2021
- TAS - Hobart
- AU$41 - AU$47k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time