Research Technician - Diffraction (Part-time) - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Technician - Diffraction (Part-time)
- Do you have experience in XRD sample preparation and XRD data collection?
- Enable the application and delivery of high-level analytical science
- Join CSIRO Mineral Resources and make a difference!
CSIRO Mineral Resources (CMR) is seeking to appoint a Research Technician – Diffraction to join the Diffraction, Mineralogy and Geochemistry team of the Characterisation Program. In this diverse role, you will enable the application and development of high-level analytical science, by performing sample preparation, diffraction data collection and some data analysis as part of delivery of research, and characterisation consulting services, for external and internal stakeholders.
The CMR Characterisation Program delivers high quality and accurate information to improve understanding of mineral resources across the minerals value chain, from exploration to processing. The range of state-of-the-art analysis and characterisation capability includes X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy, electron/optical microscopy, electron probe microanalysis, QEMSCAN, particle size analysis and high-resolution X-ray computed tomography.
Your duties will include:
- Contributing to the delivery of XRD-based characterisation services, particularly by performing sample preparation and data collection tasks under limited supervision, for external and internal customers across a wide range of mineral contexts. Some data analysis and reporting may also be involved.
- Contributing to the maintenance of a world-class characterisation laboratory, and development and application of specialised X-ray analysis techniques.
- Assisting in establishing and developing clay sample separation and preparation capability in the Clayton laboratory.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) VIC
Salary: AU$64k - AU$82k (pro-rata for part time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Hours: 0.6 FTE (44.1 h per fortnight)
Tenure: Specified term until 4th August 2023
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent relevant work experience in Minerals/Minerals Processing, Geology/Geochemistry, Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science/Engineering.
- Experience in XRD sample preparation, and collection of XRD data, in a research, academic or commercial environment.
- Proven experience in the operation of scientific equipment for collection of data and applying data collection and analysis approaches to solve specific problems.
- A history of safely using chemicals and materials in a laboratory environment.
- The ability to work effectively within project teams.
- Good communication skills coupled with the ability to liaise with stakeholders to establish their requirements and ensure customer satisfaction.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
1 August 2021 11 pm AEST
We reserve the right to withdraw this advert prior to the closing date
- Closing Date:
- 01 Aug 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$64k - AU$82k (pro-rata for part time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Part Time