- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
The Animal Services Support Officer will assist in the Biocontainment Large Animal Facility (LAF) at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) Geelong. The Large Animal Facility (LAF) capability is essential for the support the Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL) Diagnostic Surveillance and Response Program response and research obligations and with Health and Biosecurity Business Unit currently working on COVID-19 vaccine development.
The Animal Services Support Officer role is to support the day to day operation of a high-level biocontainment animal facility in which activities are heavily determined by protocols to meet containment, health and safety and animal welfare regulations. The role supports scientific research into infectious diseases through the cleaning and preparation of animal rooms, maintenance of stocks of consumables, maintenance of equipment, waste removal and provision of animal husbandry.
A small team of dedicated people assist in the day to day running of the facility however many tasks involve working alone. All staff working in this environment must pass security, medical and psychological checks and be vaccinated against various diseases.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Your duties will include:
- Abiding by and promoting animal ethics, microbiological containment and physical security requirements at ACDP.
- Supplying and maintaining equipment, including testing and calibrating personal protective equipment and assembling and maintaining animal caging and pens.
- Distributing and maintaining stocks of consumables required to run the facility (such as gloves, overalls, toiletry items, disinfectants, rubbish bags, animal fodder).
- Being responsible for the cleaning and preparation of rooms ready for decontamination, and assisting with decontamination procedures, at the completion of experiments then the removal of equipment following decontamination.
- Removing laboratory and animal waste generated from experiments and disposing of waste via an incinerator system in compliance with EPA regulations.
- Providing animal handling and husbandry support.
Location: Geelong, VIC
Salary: AU$63k - AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- General “handy-person” skills, and the ability to perform manual labour such as lifting heavy (>20kg) items and performing physically demanding tasks such as cleaning.
- The ability to deliver strong support to a highly dedicated team, responding promptly to unexpected changes in circumstances and identifying creative solutions to logistical challenges.
- Good interpersonal skills, particularly verbal and written communication skills and ability to work well with teams.
- Willingness to work with animals infected with serious zoonotic diseases, and therefore posing a serious biological hazard, which involves wearing fully encapsulating suits connected to a clean air supply, and strict adherence to safety and biocontainment protocols (following training).
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Negative Vetting 1 level.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
28th May 2020, 11:00pm AEST