- Kick-start your career in a professional and supportive leading scientific agency – join CSIRO
- Support Science at sea for both the Marine National Facility and the O&A Business Unit
- Add value through efficient and effective operational support for CSIRO’s RV Investigator
CSIRO’s Oceans & Atmosphere is currently seeking to appoint a mechanical technician.
You, as the successful candidate, will be responsible for developing, operating, maintaining and storing scientific equipment for use in the field and aboard ships, including the RV Investigator.
This position would be well suited to early career applicants
Find out more by viewing the full position description and selection criteria here: Position description
Your duties/responsibilities will include:
- Assist in mooring and sensor system construction
- Prepare and mobilise equipment for deployments in the field.
- Deploy equipment both on land and at sea (coastal and deep ocean) as well as to maintain, troubleshoot and repair equipment as needed.
Location: Hobart TAS
Salary: AU$62K - AU$79K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A relevant Associate Diploma or Diploma; an early-career engineering qualification; or mechanical trade certificate.
- A current Australian driver’s licence.
- The ability to work at sea for extended periods (up to 60 days in any one voyage) and to travel extensively in order to provide operational support in domestic or foreign ports.
- The ability to obtain a Certificate of Medical Fitness to a standard required for working in remote regions as defined by the MNF, and a Maritime Security Identification Card.
- The ability to obtain a Certificate of Sea Safety Training issued by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority in accordance with Marine Orders Part 3.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: To apply, please provide a CV as well as a cover letter addressing the selection criteria in brief, and upload these as one document. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, Sunday 30 September 2018