Queensland Rail is an integrated customer and rail infrastructure business servicing the passenger, tourism, resources and freight customer markets throughout Queensland. The organisation aims to be the safest, best performing and most customer focused railway in Australia.
At Queensland Rail we believe safety comes first. Always.
About the role
As the Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be part of our Fleet Management team and primarily responsible for providing design models and illustrations for proposed changes to rollingstock layouts. You will be part of a team that undertakes audits, develops design concepts/detailed specifications/scopes of work for the purpose of stakeholder and contractor engagement.
A knowledge of the Disability Discrimination Act and the Disability Standard for Accessible Public Transport is highly desirable but not essential. This is a permanent opportunity based at Mayne Yard in Bowen Hills and the hours are Monday to Friday, 38 hours per week. You can anticipate some of your daily duties to include;
- Develop concept briefs and design illustrations, scopes of work, specifications, instructions etc for the modification of rollingstock.
- Manage modifications to rollingstock equipment.
- Provide technical advice regarding public transport accessibility requirements in relation to the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport and Disability Discrimination Act.
- Conduct quality audits on rolling stock in accordance with established standards
- Monitor rollingstock performance, carry out tests, analyse and make recommendations to improve the reliability
- Mentor and coach junior engineers to maximise team performance
- A bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering is mandatory
- Registration as a Professional Engineer of Queensland is desirable
- Knowledge of the mechanical design, operation and maintenance requirements of rolling stock and associated equipment will be an advantage, but applicants with heavy industry design experience are encouraged to apply
- Sound knowledge of Public Transport Accessibility requirements desired
- Experience developing concept briefs and design illustrations
- High level of skill in undertaking technical investigations, rollingstock tests, problem solving, trial modifications and preparation of technical reports.
Benefits on offer
- Flexible working options.
- Competitive Salary Packaging.
- Generous superannuation scheme.
- Queensland Rail also offers free train travel to and from work on duty days and a healthy work/ life balance.
Position Description 76848.pdf
The recruitment and selection process for this position might require shortlisted applicants to undertake Psychometric Assessment, Pre-Employment Health Assessment, Video Screen and background checks that might also include Criminal History and Credit Checks.
Queensland Rail embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We have built the foundation for diversity in the areas of gender balance, First Nations Peoples, Youth, Disability and Multiculturalism. We continue to establish and integrate key programs such as QRWomen, Graduate and Apprentice Programs, Work and Welcome, Returned to Work processes, Employee Assistance Program, as well as Queensland Rail First Nations and LGBTIQ+ Staff Reference Groups.
Apply to position number 76848 via our website by clicking onto the "Apply" button. Please submit a resume and covering letter outlining relevant experience by 5:00pm, Wednesday the 12th of August 2020. For more information please call Courtney Webb on (07) 3072 2097.
Please do not email your application. We can only accept applications received via our website.