With approximately 6,500 staff, more than $6 billion in fixed and other assets and more than 6,500 kilometres of track, Queensland Rail (QR) is an integrated customer and rail infrastructure business servicing the passenger, tourism, resources and freight customer markets throughout Queensland. The organisation aims to be the safest, best performing and most customer focused railway in Australia.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Fleet Management team (based at Mayne - Bowen Hills) is primarily responsible for providing design models and illustrations to allow stakeholders to view proposed changes to rollingstock layouts. The engineer will be part of a team to undertake audits, and develop design concepts, detailed specifications and scopes of work for the purpose of stakeholder and contractor engagement. A knowledge of the Disability Discrimination Act and the Disability Standard for Accessible Public Transport is desirable but not essential.
This is a permanent opportunity based at Mayne Yard in Bowen Hills. The hours are Monday to Friday 38 hours per week.
The responsibilities of the Senior Mechanical Engineer include:
- Develop concept briefs and design illustrations, scopes of work, specifications, instructions and other documents to the required standards for the modification of rollingstock.
- Manage modifications to rollingstock equipment.
- Provide technical advice regarding public transport accessibility requirements in relation to the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport and Disability Discrimination Act.
- Conduct quality audits on rolling stock in accordance with established standards
- Monitor rollingstock performance, carry out tests, analyse and make recommendations to improve the reliability and performance of rollingstock and associated equipment.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers to maximise team performance by providing performance feedback, advice, encouragement, training and professional development.
We are seeking interest from people who have:
- A Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer of Queensland is desirable.
- Sound knowledge of Public Transport Accessibility requirements.
- High level of skill in the development of concept briefs and design illustrations.
- High level of interpersonal, written and oral communication and training skills.
- High level knowledge of the mechanical design, technical operation and maintenance requirements of rolling stock and associated equipment will be an advantage, but applicants with heavy industry design experience are encouraged to apply.
- High level of skill in undertaking technical investigations, rollingstock tests, problem solving, trial modifications and preparation of technical reports.
- Substantial skill in developing scopes of work and modifications to improve rollingstock performance.
Benefits on offer
- Flexible working options.
- Competitive Salary Packaging.
- Generous superannuation scheme.
- Queensland Rail also offers free train travel to and from work on duty days and a healthy work/ life balance.
Position Description 76848.pdf
The recruitment and selection process for this position might require shortlisted applicants to undertake Psychometric Assessment, Pre-Employment Health Assessment, Video Screen and background checks that might also include Criminal History and Credit Checks.
As Queensland Rail is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, we encourage women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, and members of other diverse groups to apply.
Apply to position number 76848 via our website by clicking onto the "Apply" button. Please submit a resume and covering letter outlining relevant experience by 5:00pm, Wednesday the 16th of October 2019. For more information please call Courtney Webb on (07) 3072 2097.
Please do not email your application. We can only accept applications received via our website.